Wednesday 28 February 2018

A Golden Nugget


A Golden Nugget

In the Holderville Forest

I have never been a hard-core pet person. Growing up down on the farm, we always had a dog, and the dog always had a job—getting the cows in for milking. The dogs were not allowed in the house, and they never had real dog food, just table scraps. We went through a few dogs in my youth, and every one of them was named Skipper. No matter how creative we children might get about naming the dog, it always ended up being Skipper, because my father would never adjust to a different name.


Cow-Dog

Of course, when I became a parent, I was going to give my children everything their little hearts desired, if I could manage it. We could manage a dog. Enter Tucker. 

Tucker Joins the Family



In spite of my granite exterior, I grew fond of Tucker, and when he passed away, I found I missed having a dog in my life. Enter Nugget.  

Nugget Joins the Family

This month, I had to say good-bye to Nugget after our six years of retirement together.

All the Elements of Retirement

Nugget came to us suitably named and with an interesting backstory. She was a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Cocker Spaniel. The ethics of uniting those two breeds is questionable, but they make cute little “forever puppies” which are currently desirable.  

Forever Puppy

Nugget was a puppy mill. She had spent her life giving birth to puppies before she was seized from an establishment up north and placed in the SPCA in Oromocto. After a couple of visits with Nugget, I took the plunge. The vets estimated that she was 7 years old.  As I was signing the adoption papers, I said, “I assume she is housebroken?”
“Oh no,” they answered. “She has lived her life on the cement floor of a garage. She’s never been in a house.”

Garage Living

Nugget was pretty antsy for the first few months. She was afraid of stairs, doorways, brooms and men. 

Nugget's Fears: 
Stairs.Doorways. Brooms. Men.

Nugget imprinted on me and became MY dog, snubbing Tom to an extent. Over the years her fears and anxieties subsided, and she lived a pretty good life. Our backyard neighbour always said that “she landed her ass in butter” when she came to live with
us. 
Butter Dog


Released from life as a puppy mill, Nugget spent the rest of her days pursuing diverse interests. She was...

A Fashionista

 
A Security Guard

A Gardener

A Rhubarb Farmer

 
A Contender

A Hockey Player

A Wrestler

A Marble Player


A Pumpkin Jumper

A Hiker

A Camper

A Boater

A Marathoner

A Knitter


A Cuddler



It is sad to say good-bye to such a loyal friend. I take comfort in the wise words of my Little Brother Noel who said, “Every dog dies someday, Barb. So do people. But not usually on the same day. Unless there is a virus.”

So long, Nugget...
Nugget





...Until Next Time...

7 comments:

  1. Nugget was a lovely companion. Nice tribute to such an accomplished lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, such a lovely tribute to Nugget. I love the picture of you and Nugget retirement. It almost makes me want to have another dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete