Tuesday 31 October 2017

KISS: Keep it Simple, Sometimes!

KISS: Keep it Simple, Sometimes

Today’s technology is fascinating, dynamic and largely beyond my comprehension. Self-driving cars. Siri. Drones that deliver groceries to your door. It's amazing.

Drone Delivery

Then there is yesterday’s technology. Overwhelmed by the glitz of modern advances, do we fail to appreciate the "simple" technology of yore? Consider knitting needles, for example. “Sticks” as one of my favourite knitting students called them at her first lesson.

Sticks

With those plain steel double-pointed needles and a couple of balls of yarn, I can make beautiful mittens. Simple.

Mittens in Progress

I spend hours musing about the technology of sticks and knitting.

Knitting and Musing 

And then there is my Amazing Applesauce Maker, a wonderful piece of yesterday's technology I inherited from my mother. I love it. Look at those legs!
Applesauce Maker circa 1940s

I cook the apples whole, stalks and all.


Pot of Apples


Then I dump those apples in the Amazing Applesauce Maker and crush the softened mash with the wooden pestle. The process is most satisfying. 

Softened Mash

It is remarkable how little waste is left after this process. So efficient! So simple
Apple Waste

And I end up with applesauce that looks like this! Trust me, it's simply delicious.
Delicious Applesauce

And if you need instructions on how to knit or how to make applesauce, you just go to YouTube!  New technology helps keep old technology alive!


Technology moves forward at lightning speed and most of us are along for the ride, knitting needles in one hand and cellphone in the other! 





...Until Next Time...

4 comments:

  1. I concur about the Apple Sauce Maker. It is a wonderful kitchen gadget. I don't know where mine came from, my mother certainly didn't have it. I love it. I make the most wonderful applesauce with its help. Sometimes simple is better.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I think they need you at Kings Landing, Barb.

    ReplyDelete